Larnaka Region, Larnaka
This beautiful 18th century aqueduct still standing, can be found on the road heading towards Lemesos in the area of Kamares, which takes its name from the distinctive arches (‘kamares’ in Greek). Site is open air and there is no entrance fee. Aqueduct was built in the Roman style in 1746 by the Turkish governor of Larnaka, Bekir Pasha, who funded it out of his own sources to carry water to Larnaka from a source about 10km away. The aqueduct was abandoned in 1939 and its function replaced by modern pipes. There are more than 20 arches still intact, and these are strikingly illuminated at night. A footpath with plenty of benches for rest in a hot summer day allow you to enjoy the site of this monument, with the path linking up with Larnaka Salt Lake. Place is very easily accessible by car from the motorway or larnaca town. Aqueduct is on old B5 road and is visible from the road. It is only 10km from Larnaca International airport or 4 km from Larnaca centre.